La Fin!

Finally, after 4 months of blood, sweat, and tears, I've finished Cut Shot! Now to reread it and see if it actually makes sense. And then edit it 25 times. But it's a relief to finally get where I wanted with it. The final word count was almost 62K, well over what I had targeted. I knew last weekend I was getting close, but I wavered on how I was going to finish it. There was meant to be a chapter where Jed faces off against his sister Mary. I had thought that she would challenge his right to the house, even though papers had been signed. But in the end, I decided that was just drawing things out. It might be something that comes up in the next book (if there is a next book--and I'm really hoping there will be!) But I'm happy where I ended it. Funny how the ending is never what I envision when I start a new manuscript!

this week's Rainbow Snippet* from Chapter 19:

After they heard the soft click of the front door as it latched shut, Jed picked up an aluminum pan but didn’t move to put it away. He scanned the mess scattered over every flat surface as if he wasn’t sure where he was or what he should be doing. “Why is casserole and cake necessary just because someone died? There’s enough here to feed a hundred people. And that’s not even including the pies and the potato salad.” Ian rescued the foil-wrapped pan when Jed’s hand began to shake. “Holy shit, I just came out!”
“Yes, Jedidiah, my dear, I do believe you did.”

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.


Comments

  1. Oh dear. Coming out at a funeral? I'll bet that's a fun scene. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent scene. Nicely done. Thank you for sharing. And Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the delayed reaction.

    (And I have a WiP nearing completion that features a similar issue of food when someone died.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippets*–A Little Ramble