Rainbow Snippets* --NaNoWriMo Begins!

I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year, but I've set my own goal. I'm not going to stress myself with 50K, instead aiming for 30K. The first year I did NaNo, I made the 50K and I would love to do it again, but I simply have too many other commitments this time. Ideally, I'll surpass my minimum goal and get Fire and Smoke 2/3s written in November and finish it in December. Of course, things never work out as I plan!

Today's snippet is from this NaNo project. It's snipped from Daryl's opening chapter. He's with a group of his friends at a campground and the conversation is between him and his older cousin, Mike:

“Hey, Turkey, come help me with this,” Mike yelled at me. He’s called me Turkey my whole life. When I asked why he said it was because I looked like a plucked turkey when I was born. Yellow-pale skin with a round belly, legs drawn up, and pointed elbows that flapped like wings. I’d asked him to stop more than once. It made it worse.
“This” was lowering the coolers out of the back of his pick-up truck. Two smallish ones were filled with food and the other two larger ones were full of beer. We had our priorities, after all.  


*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. Aww, that's actually a sweet story for the nickname. Totally get why he doesn't like being called that, though. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey is funny but I'd love to see it disappear from use too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't blame him for not wanting to be called Turkey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Changing Seasons

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition