Rainbow Snippets* -- Slow But Steady

For this week's snippet, I'm going back to Embers and Flame. My NaNo project is moving slowly and the first draft is still extremely rough. I think mentally it was a rough week plus I've had some work-related projects that have cut into my writing time. 
I have the problem when starting a new project of letting go of the last one. In this case, Ian and Jed from Cut Shot are still rolling around in my head, making it hard to grab hold of Vaughn and Daryl. Couple that with this current WIP being the second in the series. I've been going back and rereading bits and pieces, which has Ben and Cherry jumbling it a bit, also. Once I get through the next chapter or two, this story won't be running concurrently with the first, so the writing should (hopefully) move quicker. Right now I keep "fact checking", making sure everything is lining up. 

This week's snippet is a conversation between Ben and Cherry and comes from Embers and Flame. It's the weekend when Daryl and Vaughn meet. A bit longer than 6 sentences, but we all know how that is!


“Where is everyone going to sleep?” I (Ben) asked. I hadn’t given sleeping arrangements any thought as we’d planned this little jaunt.
“The couch pulls out into a double and I have my air mattress. We should be good,” Cherry said loud enough for Eric, Mike, and Daryl to hear.
We’d canceled our weekend plans at the campground when Cherry won a block of 9 seats at Busch Stadium and invited us. Cherry introduced the trio of Lindsey’s friends who were joining us for the afternoon outing. I pulled him into the kitchen and hissed, “Vaughn? Is that the guy that molested you in your bathroom?”
Cherry smiled at my antagonism. “Yes, but he apologized. Lindsey told him I thought he was hot. He knows better now.” He pulled me against him and gave me a proper hello kiss. “And if he doesn’t, he will!”
I relaxed, determined to enjoy the day. We didn’t get to spend enough time together to let my petty jealousy ruin it. “Yes he will,” I said against his lips when the skinny kid followed Lindsey into the kitchen. I wanted a guarantee that Vaughn knew Cherry wasn’t on the market and I put on a show with deep wet kisses and roaming hands as I pretended to not notice them in the room. 

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. Heh, that's putting on quite a show! Hopefully the would be rival doesn't decide he now wants them both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's one way to handle it! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least he realizes how destructive jealousy can be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales