Rainbow Snippets*-- Merry Christmas!

The most wonderful time of the year! Or at least the busiest. I work retail so the last few weeks have been a bit nuts. I'm off today so I'm going to spend the day finishing up, plus my daughter's coming in this afternoon to spend the week with us. I don't expect to get much writing done, but a break is good once in awhile.


Since it's the last weekend before Christmas, I thought a Christmas scene was in order, so I'm going back to Cut Shot. I almost think Jed and Ian's story is my favorite of the books I've written and I'm not sure why except I really developed a soft spot for Jed. In this chapter, he comes out of the bar after he and Ian have just had words in the restroom.

excerpt from Chapter 15:

Jed should have been surprised to find Ian leaning against his truck after he paid his tab and got stopped twice by people who wanted to say hi, but he wasn’t. The snow was still flurrying, giving the night a soft ambiance. Somehow Christmas had arrived, a suddenly looming day of forced laughter with his family and a pretense of joy he hadn’t felt since he was a child. It was only four days away; how he’d lost track of the day was baffling. Ma didn’t decorate much, but there was a small artificial tree in the living room along with her treasured porcelain Nativity while every store window bordering the town square was lined with brightly blinking colored lights. He caught the edge of holiday music from somewhere down the street, but in the stillness of the evening, the sound was distorted and he couldn’t pinpoint where it was coming from.

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Changing Seasons

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition