Rainbow Snippets* --Trying To Get My Groove Back

The first week in January always just kind of "happens" for me. It's like I go into a semi-trance and when I wake up it's already the 10th. I think it's the come-down from the hussle and stress of the holidays. But the trees and the decorations have been boxed and stored, so maybe life can get back to normal, except I'll be on vacation the second half of this month. Which means my head's still not in the game. This WIP is taking much longer than I'd hoped. I should never plan to finish something in December or January.

I'm past 20K and struggling with the plot-line on Smoke and Sparks, but then again, I think I've said that at this point with nearly everything I've written. My plans for the next 2 weeks are more about outlining the second half than it is about word count. I'm usually a pantser, so this may not work at all for me, but New Year, new strategy!

Today's snippet is from early in the story. It's the day that Daryl and Vaughn meet. Daryl and his cousins are spending the weekend in St. Louis at a friend's apartment. Lindsey is the friend's sister, who also lives there:

From Daryl's POV:
            “The couch folds out so I’m calling dibs. You and Eric get the air mattress,” Mike said with a smirk.
            “We have to share? The couch is big enough for two of us.”
Mike grinned. “I need lots of room.”
“Whatever,” I grumbled.
“You can share with Lindsey, I suppose. If you ask nicely.”
I could feel the blush heat my face. “Funny, haha. Besides, what about her boyfriend? Isn’t he staying tonight?”
“Whose boyfriend?”
And could the cushions swallow me up, please? The guy was standing behind us, bending forward over the back of the couch, giving me his full attention.


*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippet–The End is Near