Rainbow Snippets* -- Countdown to CampNaNo

Smoke and Sparks is almost done. I thought I was working on the last chapter but it looks like I'm going to be adding one more. And then there's the epilogue. If it was a typical weekend I'd very possibly finish it. But seeing as how the boss went to South Carolina on vacation, I'm going to have to work. On the off-chance I don't finish it before Monday, I'll just apply my word count on those days to my Camp NaNo. And then it's back to Headphones.


 This week's snippet comes from the second book in the Headphones trilogy. Mick is a retired rock-star. He'd hit it big with his band, Freewheel, but when the lead guitarist (and his best friend) died, he found a place where no one recognized him and settled down to live quietly. That is until Headphones stumbled into his life. He'd been surprised to find she has mad musical skills and has been mentoring her for several months at this point. He's asked her who taught her to play and she answers "My dad".: 

The pieces all fell together and it hit Mick like lightning. “You’re George Dell’s daughter!" The look Headphones gave him said it all. “Shit, I’m sorry. I hadn’t put it together.” Chagrin, wrapped in compassion, settled on his face.
“Don’t be sorry. I shouldn’t have assumed you knew.” Her voice remained low; the pain that always accompanied the memory of her parents bled through.
Setting his guitar aside, Mick came over to sit next to the girl, tilting her face up with a finger under her chin. “We met once, didn’t we?”
That memory brought a small smile that not only touched her lips but spread to her eyes. “Yeah,” she said softly. Those were the good memories.

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. Love the subtle emotion packed into this scene. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, sad but heart-touching moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can just see the sad story forming here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales