Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Spring!

I've crossed the 50K line this week. The goal is still to try and finish Smoke and Sparks by the end of the month, but if not, I'll be close. This week's snippet is the full scene I used as a teaser on the Twitter #writeLGBTQ tag. I like seeing other writers' contributions. It's a brotherhood of sorts, sharing our art (in word form!), just like sharing our Snippets each weekend!


This week's snippet:
The set up--It's the day after Thanksgiving and Daryl and Vaughn are visiting Daryl's uncle's garage. His older cousin, Larry, works there (a thoroughly unpleasant person) and he made some comments that upset Vaughn. Written from Daryl's POV:

“Sorry,” I said as I buckled my seat belt.
“It’s okay. Not your fault,” Vaughn replied softly. His hands were folded on his lap and he was worrying his fingers in a nervous gesture. “I should have dressed differently.”
“Hey, no!” I reached over to cover his hands with one of mine and he went still. “You dress the way you want. Larry doesn’t like anyone or anything. It has nothing to do with your outfit. Besides, I think you look hot.”
He flipped his top hand over so that we were palm to palm. His eyes were wet and I was afraid he was going to cry. “I just don’t want to embarrass you.”
“You don’t and you won’t. So let’s go grab something to eat and then we’ll meet up with Mike. We don’t have to stay very late. Besides, I kind of want to make an early night of it, if you get my drift,” I said, wiggling my eyebrows.
Vaughn snorted a laugh and wiped at his eyes. “Why do I think it’s my drift you want to get?”
“It’s absolutely your drift, and only your drift, I want.” Okay, maybe that was a bit sappy, but his pleased, shy smile told me it was the right thing to say. 

Note: the picture is from my Instagram.  

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippet–The End is Near