Rainbow Snippets*-- Back to Camp

I actually managed to finish the first draft of Smoke and Sparks last weekend, so now I'm going to let it sit for a bit before I start editing. Even so, I'm behind on CampNaNo, which doesn't surprise me. With the boss is out of town, I'm working overtime. On top of less time to write, I'm tired. But he'll be back in a few days and maybe I can get caught up again. At least it's beginning to look like Spring is really, finally, here. 


In last week's snippet, Mick realizes he knew Headphones' dad and that they'd met once when she was in her teens. Headphones is the nickname that Mick bestowed on Jessie in the first book before anyone knew her name, and it stuck. 


“Alright, Jessie?” Mick said, letting her know he was there.
She startled and then grimaced. “Don’t call me that.”
“What? It’s your name.”
She shook her head as she answered. “No, she was someone else. I don’t even know her anymore. She’s broken.”
Ah, she was in one of those moods. “The Jessie I met was happy.”
“That girl was star-struck. It’s just like you ain’t Micky no more.”
Dawning comprehension. “I think you forget that sometimes.”
Then she was the baffled one. “Why would you say that?”
Amusement colored his gentle tone. “Because sometimes you call me Micky.”     

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. This is heart-touching - I really love the last line, so gentle yet powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Changing Seasons

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition