The week started out nice. There was sun. There was warmth. And now it's cold, it's gloomy, and we had snow flurries today. Can we not do this, please? I really need to move to a warmer climate! The sun through the window hit this basket of artificial fall leaves and made them glow! This snippet from Headphones: Fall Out is a chapter opening that starts out descriptive with Headphones reflecting on the changes in her life since the first of the year. I wrote this ten years ago, but it feels very much like the weather we're having now! The brittle leaves still hanging on the oak trees rattled around Headphones as the occasional gusts of wind blew her hair across her face. The trees were patchworks of fall colors–evergreens still wearing their green while some of the hardwoods were red and yellow, with many already naked and settled into their winter hibernation. It had been a damp day with thick fog rising with the dawn, and mist that turned into a light almost-drizzle. B...
I've starting to feel like Blind Ante and Cut Shot are never getting published. Always, there is something else that has a higher priority. I'm working on a novella at the moment for a project at the end of the year. Since it's a group project, it's front and center. And since I'm a slow writer, it'll probably take me all summer to finish the first draft. I need life to slow down! In this snippet from Blind Ante , Jordan has come into the bar where Reese works. He's not usually much of a drinker, but on this one night, there is something obviously bothering him. After a couple of shots and a beer, he starts singing. The little ditty has significance later in the story. Do you recognize it? Reese went back to work, tossing bottles and flirting, but he kept an eye on Jordan as he sat with his jaw resting on his palm. He was staring off into space, his mind floating somewhere far away. Jordan began to sing, so low Reese could barely hear. “Pete and Repeat, si...
2018. What can I say? I'm at that age where one asks "Where has the time gone?" but at the same time, in so many ways, this year has seemed endless. My goal for 2018 had been to start publishing and I did manage to have one short story published, so I met that goal; just maybe not in the way I meant. Therefore, my goal for 2019 is to get brave, make concrete decisions, and publish at least one of my books! That's as far as my resolutions go. (after all, who likes a skinny, sober bitch anyway?!) My snippet this week comes from one of my first manuscripts, When Silverfish Dance . It's not a romance so much as a Suspense with Romantic elements. In other words, it ends with a HFN instead of a HEA. Although, if I ever manage to write the sequel...! It's New Year's Eve, 1973, and the two main characters, Morgan and Barry, are pretending to be a couple. Sometimes the lines blur: Barry looked up at him with a small smile and said, “Look, it’s almo...
Comments
Post a Comment