Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Post-Thanksgiving!

As a little "side job", I bake cookies. This isn't important as far as this blog goes, but it is one of the reasons I'm not getting much writing done this month. I signed up for a vendor show on December 1st and I've spent the month baking and icing cookies. One more week and that huge undertaking will be done. Then maybe I'll attempt my own "NaNo" in December!
          The second reason Smoke and Sparks bogged down is because Daryl showed me a side that I hadn't realized was there so I'm making a few changes to my original story. It's a good thing; I'm starting to get a better feel for my characters.
           In the meantime, I'm going back to Cut Shot for this week's snippet. This takes place early in Jed and Ian's relationship when they're still feeling each other out:

Excerpt from chapter 4:
Within a half-an-hour, they were back in the truck and then parking in front of the Shortstop and he didn’t recall ever discussing stopping for a drink.
Still, Ian found himself once again standing in the dim light next to the pool table with Jed holding onto his hand as he counted quarters into his palm. “Get your balls ready,” he said suggestively as he closed Ian’s fingers around the coins, squeezing his fist with his rougher hand. “I’ll get us drinks. What do you want? Wine? Something fruity?”
Ian shook himself, broken by the spell of Jed’s hand around his as he replayed the question. “Just get me a beer. Whatever you’re drinking,” he growled, slightly insulted by Jed’s insinuation. But he couldn’t help the small smile that lifted the corners of his mouth when Jed laughed and winked.

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.


Comments

  1. Love this interaction, and how Ian's torn between feeling insulted and...not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A challenge maybe? A test? Hmmm...

    And good luck with your December NaNo! (Goes in search of cookies)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!