Rainbow Snippets*-- Moving Day

I'm still trying to get things back to normal and settle into my old routine, although the fates seem to be against me. But the holidays are over and everyone is finally done with vacations, at least for the moment. I have managed to write every day this week, even though my word count isn't where I want it to be. I think I've hit the mid-point of Vaughn and Daryl's story, so I'm going to call it a win and leave it at that. I decided last weekend to put together a more detailed "outline" but that never seems to work for me. I can "know" where the story's going, but as soon as I start typing, it goes somewhere else completely. Funny how characters seem to have a life of their own!




In this snippet: Vaughn needs a roommate and Daryl needs a place to stay for a few months while he helps his uncle out (because the alternative is living with his uncle and aunt--and who wants to do that when there's a cute guy he wants to get to know better?) This excerpt is from Vaughn's pov and it's the wind-down of "moving day."

Daryl laid (his phone) on the end table when I gave it back and then twisted, pulling one leg up so that he was sitting on his foot. Prickly sweat broke out across my back as his regard remained constant. “Can I kiss you?” he asked, breaking the silence. And my stomach flipped again. At this rate I was going to lose my lunch along with Lindsey’s choice of over-sweet wine.
“Yes,” I whispered and he closed the empty space between us, his leg still bent, a barrier preventing a full-body clench. His hand came up to cup the back of my head as he leaned towards me and I closed my eyes, happy to let him lead. There was a gentle nudge, a wet glide of pressure against my mouth; he must have licked his lips first. He didn’t move although there was a light quiver and his breath was uneven. His eyelashes swept across my skin, a flutter that I barely felt. If I opened my eyes, would I find him looking at me, too close to focus but watching me, nonetheless? 


*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales