Rainbow Snippets*-- Year Of The Cats

Here we go again. Momma Cat (Peppercorn's Grandmother) brought us another litter. I'm about ready to do a Go Fund Me to raise the money to get her--and her progeny--fixed. I looked into a "spay and release" program, but it doesn't seem we have a good one in our area. Anyway, this little one got trapped (or abandoned) and my husband rescued her. She's much smaller than the other kittens, so we're keeping her in with us. Peppercorn's not sure what to think!


On the writing front:

Scoey has just moved into The House and Jay has come to visit. Part 1, Part 2Part 3, and this weekend's snippet is the fourth and final bit:

“She likes you.”
Scoey’s soft comment drew Jay back with a start. “My mom? I should hope so.”
“No, doof. Headphones. She likes you. She doesn’t like me.”
Jay chuckled. “I’ve noticed that. She gives you strange looks. Maybe she’s shy. Just be nice and she’ll come ‘round.”
Scoey let a small laugh invade the quiet of the room. “Maybe.” He pulled his feet up and settled sideways against the cushions in the window so that he could look outside and still see Jay. Despite the girl’s antagonism, he had a home and a job and friends. He was determined to make a future for himself, whatever it held in store.

Note: I'm still looking for a couple more beta readers, so if anyone is interested, email me at ransan82@gmail.com. I'm just looking for general feedback.
Blurb for Headphones: In From the Cold:
            They don’t know her name, so they call her Headphones.
Homeless and lost, all Headphones wants is a warm place to rest. What she finds in the bright bar is a group of people who take her in, offering her a home and a chance to make music again. Her new friends help her heal from the trauma that forced her to run, while she breaks them from the mundanity of their own lives. 
Micky Shane walked away from the glamour of his Rock Star life when he lost his lead-guitarist and best friend, eventually settling in the small college town with a new name and a new band. He can’t claim to be happy, but he’s content in his anonymity. The young woman sparks something in him he believed he’d lost. With renewed energy, maybe he’s ready to step into the world again.  
In From the Cold is the first of the trilogy that chronicles Headphones’ one-year journey as she and her found-family's lives interweave. Five different relationships, five different romances, with a happy-ever-after guaranteed in the final book. 

Content notes: M/F M/M mention of drugs, alcohol, and guns. In From the Cold is not a stand-alone.

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. I could use on of those "spay and release" programs, too. I don't want to take in any cats due to my son-in-law's allergy, but I feed and provide shelters for the neighborhood feral cats. Young Momma Kitty had her first baby over this past winter (northern hemisphere), and had another batch of four in early August which she only this past week has brought around (I think she's starting to wean them?). I'm kind of hoping one of the nearby pet stores might be interested in them. I hate to risk a shelter that isn't no-kill...I'd rather they take their chances in my sheltered back yard than that, but I'd really like to find them homes.

    Anyway...😏...Great snippet! LOL! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable furbaby! They just recently started a spay/neuter/release program here, two years after we moved into a place that was loaded with neighborhood ferals. They've drifted off over the years, but one of our cats now came from that lot, a tiny baby we found abandoned at 3 days old.

    And kindness has its virtues. I think Headphones needs a bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, we dont' have a spay/neuter feral cat program either. Sigh.

    I liked the snippet lots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!