Rainbow Snippets*-- Finding the Spirit

I used to love Christmas--the lights and music and the happy feelings that went with them. And I'm not saying I don't like them now, but life is so busy I find it hard to enjoy any of it. But I also realize I've written Christmas into quite a few of my books, so I guess it means I'm doing my best to hold onto those good feelings.


This week's snippet comes from Smoke and Sparks, the second book in my Campfire series. Vaughn and Daryl's relationship is still new and this is their first Christmas together. Told from Vaughn's pov:

            I wrapped Daryl’s present and put it under the Christmas tree. It was silly, something I’d found purely by accident while killing time at a shop next to campus, and I glared at it, considering whether or not I should hide it in my room and buy him something else. The stuffed pink gorilla was completely ridiculous but Daryl had been fascinated by the silver-back the day we’d gone to the zoo. It'd been such a nice day and the toy felt like a sweet reminder. But maybe it was childishly frivolous. Should Christmas presents be serious and practical? They always had been when I was growing up but I suspected things were different in other families, if Lindsey wasn’t exaggerating the stories of her childhood. But for better or worse, it was under the small tree we’d put up and I suppose it had to stay because he walked in and saw it before I could make up my mind. 

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. Awww... Sweet snippet and I feel sad for Vaughn. (And I hope Daryl loves the pink gorilla!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!