Rainbow Snippets*-- Lesson For The Day

I started writing Headphones when I was seventeen. It all got put in a binder and shuffled around for years while I was busy raising my kids and working to pay bills. But I never forgot. The characters grew and developed over those 30+ years and the day came that I pulled out all of those notes and decided to put renewed life into Jessie and the crew. At some point I realized I had a band that needed original music. And lo--there was a folder full of bad poetry I'd written in High School and College. (Admit it--we all have that folder somewhere.) So much of it was cringe-worthy, but I managed to use a line here and there! 
Today's lesson--never throw anything away!


(I'm ready for Spring--if the cold gloom would just go away!)

 From chapter 4 of Sunshine Smile (Headphones, book 2)--

The afternoon wore on, meandering and unhurried, until eventually the musicians of the group grabbed their instruments to play songs of Honey and Elinor’s choosing. A karaoke feel invaded the space as the two women blended their voices into untrained duets, laughing at fumbled lyrics and screeched high-notes. There was more food and more drink and everyone slowed down. During a quiet moment, Headphones ran her fingers across the strings of her guitar, turning a fast-paced song into a ballad and Jay joined her, his voice liquid-smooth. “/It’s the moonlight driving me crazy/ watching the fog when my mind is hazy/ then sitting in the sun and feeling lazy/ up on a high horse with my skin burning/ watching the wheels turning, feeling no pain/.”

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. (Writers have to be the worst hoarders of written stuff...)

    I love the scene you've set here. Sweet and mellow and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sets a wonderful scene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!