Rainbow Snippets* --Snow Days

Like so much of the US, we got hit by extreme cold and snow. It wasn't horrible-- it was less than a foot by a couple of inches. Despite the broadcast warnings to stay off the roads because of white-out conditions, there was a rash of wrecks on the Interstate with additional numerous cars off the road. Not surprising, most of the vehicles involved were out of state. It happens every time!   

Silver watching it snow, and happy she chose to be a house cat!

This week's snippet is a continuation from last week and is taken from the prologue from Smoke and Sparks, told from Daryl's POV. He has just discovered his cousin Ben is bisexual and he is beginning to accept that he, himself, is gay.  (part 6 of 6-- click here for parts 1-5 

       Later, in the shower room, I braced my arms with my hands on the sink and stared at myself in the wavy mirror. I was short, a little thick in the waist, and dark-headed with a pointed face, like my mom. Cute on her, but not so much on me. I was a pipsqueak with nerdy straight hair. The girls told me I was adorable, like it was a compliment. Maybe it was, but I always thought tall, thin guys were… more…

       Attractive…

       That weekend, things began to make sense to me. Things I’d suspected but had refused to examine. If Ben could be so unapologetically open in his affections for another man, maybe I could admit it, also. Except, saying it in my head wasn’t the same as saying it out loud. But if Ben hadn’t come out until he was 35-years-old, I supposed I still had plenty of time.


 *Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippets*-- Changing Seasons