Rainbow Snippets*--Setting a Goal

In 2020 I participated in the Working Stiffs anthology, with each story featuring vampires in the work place. It was such a fun project to be involved with and as I wrote my short story, in my imagination, I created a history for each side character and how they all came to be together. I've pulled out my notes and I'm hoping to expand the original 10k to 60k. I'd like to say it'll be ready by the first of October, but at the rate I'm going, probably not. 

The hibiscus have been particularly lovely over the last couple of weeks.

I'm going to dive right in. Please excuse any roughness-- this is a first draft. This part of the story takes place in 1969. Artie, a 300 y/o vampire, has picked up a couple of young hitchhikers. A few hours before dawn, they've had a flat tire, and while they are changing it, a passing car hits Alex. Told from Artie's POV:

“Save him!” Sally insisted as she wrapped her arms around her injured lover. 

I hadn’t told them. All week we’d traveled together, danced together, laughed together. But I hadn’t told them my secret. Yet, somehow, she knew.

“I can’t,” I whispered. 

Her face hardened even as she tried to comfort Alex with her hands, petting his tangled hair and wiping the blood from his face with her shirt. “Can’t or won’t?” 

“There are rules. He has to consent.”

“I don’t care. He’s dying.”

To be continued...

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!