Rainbow Snippets-- Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! I (long ago) reached the age where staying up to greet the new year appealed less than sleeping through it. But I still celebrate it in my own way–which is a big pan of Hoppin John (black-eyed peas) for lunch!

My idea of a nice New Year's Eve included a walk at the Nature Center (before the nasty weather moved in.)

I'm going to snip one more time from Cut Shot. Ian and Jed's relationship is a secret, so Ian rented them a room for New Year's Eve that they've escaped to after attending a couple of parties with their friends: 

Jed handed Ian a filled glass. “What do you want to drink to?”
         “Us? Is that something we can toast?” Ian asked.
         “Of course it is. Why wouldn’t it?” Jed seemed honestly perplexed and Ian considered the night, how they’d kept their distance but couldn’t stop the sultry looks crossing between them. He couldn’t fathom how they’d gone unnoticed, but the parties were raucous and their friends were only interested in who they were going to kiss at midnight. None of them gave a thought to who the one gay man planned to kiss. He chuckled and Jed quirked an eyebrow, baffled at Ian’s amusement. 
          “Nothing, my dear, simply amused at how oblivious people are.”
          “What? We barely spoke all night. Why would anyone think anything?”
          Ian took the glass out of Jed’s hand and set it aside. “I felt your eyes on me all night. Razor sharp. Cutting into me. It took everything I had to not pull you into the car and come here hours ago. But it’s not worth worrying about because it’s midnight and you really should kiss me now.”

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. Awww... Love that last line.

    I wouldn't have been up at midnight but fireworks upset my dogs so I stayed up until that settled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story! We used to sleep thru New Year's but since we're up all night anyway, we were up this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, quite the poetic answer! (heart)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales