Rainbow Snippets*--Keeping My Focus

I'm not one to make official New Year's resolutions because, let's face it, I never keep them. But I also looked back at 2021 and, although I made some progress with my writing, there were several things started and nothing finished. So I bought myself a planner and I've set myself some goals. I'm hoping that having a physical "reminder" will help me be more focused!  

First walk of the year. It was a warmish day, but the creeks still had ice. 

Snippet from my current WIP, Fangs for the Memories: Even vampires can have body issues! Alex was born in the late 1940s and changed in 1969, so he grew up reading comic books, and the comics back then had several pages of advertisements. Do they now? I haven't read a mass produced comic book in years and I don't know! From Alex's POV:

I stood and pushed down my slacks, bending as I pulled them off.
         As I straightened, Alex said, “You’re so thin.”
        I crossed my arms over my ribs. “I’m not weak.” It came out sharper than I meant it to, but my slimness was something I’d been self-conscious of in my early life, and that feeling had never gone away. I was strong. I was hardy. My days of frailness were long past. I wasn’t some 97-pound-weakling who needed to buy Charles Atlas’ books so I could get buff. Just try kicking sand in my face and see what happened! My vampire teeth and vampire strength could defeat any back-of-the-comic-books bully.

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. He seems to be a tad defensive. Was he bullied about being thin before he turned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very defensive! And yes, I imagine he was. Alex was a frail, sickly child. And the bullies always find them, don't they?

      Delete
  2. Wow, he doesn't sound like he's accepted his vampire strength yet as truly being his. Guess he has yet to pit it against the bullies he's described enough to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Him being so defensive is a little sad to see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales