Rainbow Snippets*--Father's Day Edition

Fangs for the Memories is with the beta readers now, so the waiting begins. I'm doing a little editing as I wait, but I don't want to do much until I have feedback. Which means I need to pull out another project and work while I wait. It always takes me so long to really get into a new project, especially when my mind is still so completely involved with the last one. 

I only got to walk once this last week. I need more hours in my day!

This week's snippet is from Embers and Flame. I'm going back to it since it's Father's Day weekend in the US and Ben is a single father. This conversation is between him and his teenage son, after Cherry has spent the weekend with them. Told from Ben's POV:

“What did you say to him?”

“When?” 

I truly hoped God loved smart-alecky teens because I wanted to pinch his head off and hand him over. “Yesterday, I’m guessing.”

“I didn’t say nothing, I swear.” I gave him that Dad stare, the one where I hoped he believed I’d inflict some kind of punishment, because, honestly, I’d never really thought it through and had absolutely no clue what I’d do if “the look” didn’t work. Eric was a good kid for the most part, luckily, because being a disciplinarian had never been my strong suit. Which is why I almost let it drop, but there was something I couldn’t define and the more uncomfortable Eric got sitting there, fidgeting with the cup of coffee he’d poured, the more convinced I was that something had been said.

He finally broke under my stare. “I told him what I told you, that he’s ice cream. You know, flavor of the month. That he’s your mid-life crisis.”

At least the kid had the decency to look ashamed of himself.


Embers and Flame 

After an amicable breakup, “Cherry” Andrews hopes to prove that he’s fine on his own. Replacing the noises of St. Louis with crickets and birdsong at his favorite campground feels like the perfect vacation. But instead of finding inner-peace, he’s simply bored.
Ben Torres hopes that a cross-country motorcycle tour will help him find his own peace after his mother’s recent death, but a faulty tailpipe curtails his plans within hours of leaving home. Luckily for him, the cute redhead at the campground happily shares his fishing equipment as well as offering taxi service during a week-long search for parts.
An unexpected kiss leads to an afternoon of discovery and a summer romance that in turn becomes a long distance relationship in the fall. Everything would be wonderful if they could spend the rest of their lives in a tent by a lake–but two-hundred miles may be the least of the challenges they face.

 Sign up for my newsletter here for book updates, recs, and the occasional cookie recipe!

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales

Rainbow Snippets*–A Little Ramble