Rainbow Snippets*-- The Mystery of Val

June was a busy month, and July started the same way. But I think (hope) things are going to slow down now. It's funny how, even as I approach 60, I still expect summer to be like it was when I was in school—fun and relaxing. No, it's busy and I have to steal my moments. But those moments, spent in the sun, are so worth it. (Yes, I'm still a summer gal.)

a collection of rainbow painted rocks.
Painted rocks at the Nature Center. 

This week's snippet, from Like Cracks in the Sidewalk, is a tad longer than normal and there is a warning for self-harm. It's early in James' and Val's relationship. Val is a mystery to James for a long time, little bits of his history making their way into the story. From James POV: 

I took my time patting the towel across Val's chest, pressing the material against his skin in a slow wave. When his chest and arms were rosy and dry, I dropped to my knees to continue my task below the curve of his waist. The material was sodden enough to leave a film of moisture, but I picked up the largest beads of water that had gathered in the hills and hollows of his body. His breath hitched when I found the cross-hatch of scars on his right thigh, white with age. How had I not noticed before? Except, during our times together, I hadn’t been looking, I’d only been feeling. 
Val’s eyes watered, and the corners of his mouth dipped down. I had to avert my gaze from his pain. Leaning forward, I softly kissed the furrows. The slash-marks were rough against my lips as my breath mingled with the moisture still on his skin. His fingers found their way into my hair and I didn’t move until the urge to cry faded. I was afraid to look up, afraid to see that maybe he hadn’t been able to hold back, but he tipped my head with a gentle tug. He was smiling, small and a little sad, but his eyes were dry and I hurried to rub the towel over his calves and feet to finish my job.


Sign up for my newsletter here for book updates, recs, and promos.

Find my other links here@sadiejaywrites | Linktree

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. The tenderness here is so compelling

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!