Rainbow Snippets*-- Snow Day

Typical of January in my neck of the woods, it's snowing. And since it's my day off, I don't have to go anywhere. It's pretty to look at it through my window while comfortable and warm, but I'm old enough that I don't have any desire to out in it. I'm leaving on vacation this week, so it's the perfect excuse to stay in and start packing. I'm heading to warmer climes and this makes the anticipation even sweeter!


I'm still not getting much writing done at the moment because I wasn't happy with the way the story had turned. I know which direction I wanted the plot to follow, but I found myself on a side road. So I backed up and changed routes.

And that's enough of that metaphor!


A bit about this week's snippet. I like my titles to show up in one form or another somewhere within the story. Probably the easy thing to do would be to write the thing and then find a title, but I tend to do it in reverse. I wanted a title that fits with Embers and Flame and came up with Smoke and Sparks, (in keeping with the campfire theme). And, BAM, it just kind of happened as I was writing Vaughn and Daryl's first kiss:

Vaughn’s kiss was nothing more than pressure against my lips, something akin to a promise instead of an actual kiss. Still, I was frozen in that moment, holding my breath as my eyes fluttered closed. He broke the connection between our mouths and shifted, pressing his forehead against mine, and my held breath came out in a puff.
“Was that nice enough?” Vaughn asked and I half expected to hear a chuckle behind the words, but instead, a hint of concern curled around their edges.
“Oh, yeah,” I managed but I still didn’t open my eyes. Closed like that, I could better hear my heartbeat and feel the heat of his hands on my skin. The small space between us was charged, a zing of electricity that smoked and sparked. If I opened my eyes, would I find the air glowing?

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--More Squirrel Tales