Rainbow Snippets*-- Another Month Half Gone

In writing news, I finally finished the first draft of Cinders and Ash, the third book in my Campfire Stories series and then I went right into the first rough edits. Soon I'll need to find beta readers, both for this story and for Smoke and Sparks. I'm so far behind on the goals I'd set for myself this year, but I guess we all need to give ourselves a little slack- there was no way any of us could have predicted this year!


In Smoke and Sparks, Vaughn is a fan of Attack on Titan and ships Erwin and Levi. Daryl, his roommate (and love interest), originally caught his eye because, to Vaughn, he looked like Levi. So come Halloween, Vaughn and his friends are dressing up as the various characters from the anime, and he wants Daryl to join them. This segment is from Daryl's POV.  Part two of four (or maybe five...). Part one here. 

             He was nervous about asking me, as if he feared I’d say no. “Are you asking me out on a date?” I queried because he was clearly asking me out on a date and my stomach gave a little lurch. 
“Uh, no. It’s...there’s this party. A Halloween party. And see, a bunch of us are going as scouts from Attack on Titan. And I, uh, got you a costume.”
“You what? A costume as what?”
It was Lindsey that answered. “Not what. Who. And Levi, of course.” I startled at her voice, not even aware that she’d walked in. “And Vaughn’s going as Erwin.” There was a definite smirk on her face and I knew I was missing something. If I was going to continue living with Vaughn, I’d better watch this show. It seemed like there was this big joke that everyone was in on but I didn’t understand the punchline.
 
*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!