Rainbow Snippets*-- February Hibernation

Over the past week, we've had sunshine, rain, and snow. And not in any particular order. Now we're facing bitter cold. Ugh! Hopefully, we'll get through this cold spell and then it'll start warming up. I haven't been able to walk at the local nature center, and I miss it. I used to prefer cooler weather to hot, but I'm over that now!     

Daydreaming of  blue. 

     This week's snippet is a continuation from last week and is taken from the prologue from Smoke and Sparks, told from Daryl's POV. He has just discovered his cousin Ben is bisexual and he is beginning to accept that he, himself, is gay.  (part 4 of ?-- read part one here, part two here, and part three here.)  

 The thing was, I’d kissed a few girls, sat next to them at basketball games, even held their hands. Yet, I’d never felt that spark, that excitement my friends talked about. But watching Ben with his… boyfriend?... well, that was exciting. 

I spent the next hour with my head down, building the fire, toting and carrying, anything and everything Mike asked me to do. But I watched Cherry as I did it. I was fascinated by him. Or maybe it had more to do with the way Ben looked at him. There were passing touches, shy glances, and private smiles as they whispered to each other. It was... amazing.

My entire body tingled and what the heck was that? Curiosity or envy? Cherry was a flame that drew me, and after my fourth beer, I got brave enough to sit next to him as the group settled around the campfire. 


*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. Uh-oh! Liquid courage!

    I'm curious as to how the others are reacting to Ben and Cherry. Did they know about their relationship or were they as surprised as Daryl?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!