Rainbow Snippets* – The End of Summer

Last Sunday it was a sweltering 90+° with the humidity factor over 100°. Then Monday barely broke out of the 60s, and it's been that way all week long. Many people love it, but me, not so much. Yes, Fall brings cooler temperatures and possibly some pretty colors, but it also means the end of shorts, running around barefoot, and Winter will be here soon. I am not a cold-weather person. It makes me miserable. I need sunshine! Hopefully, it will be a mild winter with an early Spring. (Yes, I'm thinking that far ahead!) 

A clump of small purple flowers
The last of the summer flowers. 

This snippet comes from Blind Ante, the first book in the Bar Games series. As I've said previously, the old trailer that Jordan and Reese inhabit is as much a side character as the side characters are. Maybe more so. From the beginning of Chapter 3. Oh, and Cow is a toy bobblehead sitting on the dash:

   Jordan’s hands were shaking when he finally slid into his car. “Shit, Cow, I am so screwed.” He dug around for a cigarette, but all he found were half-a-dozen empty packs. He needed to give Vicky a good clean, but it wouldn’t be today. 
   “Fuck it. I don’t want to smell like an ashtray. After. I’ll buy a new pack and smoke them all.” ‘After’ being the job interview waitress Miranda had arranged with diner owner Tammy. But he paused and wondered if there was any reason to get a job if he was going to be homeless and on the road by the end of the day. He stared at the trailer. It wasn’t much, but already, when he was inside its tin-can walls, there was a sense of comfort and security that he’d lost after he left Kansas. Hell, he hadn’t had either of those things when he was growing up, he admitted to himself. No wonder he didn’t want to lose it.
 

*Find more Rainbow Snippets here!

Looking for my books or social media? @sadiejaywrites | Linktree.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*–Fall Out

Rainbow Snippets--Blind Ante

Rainbow Snippets* --Happy New Year!