Rainbow Snippets*-- Editing, Editing!

I've spent the last week editing and working on blurbs. I think we all hate blurbs! Even when I feel it's done, I go back and make changes. I wish there was some easy formula!
This week's snippet from Smoke and Sparks is a little long because I'm hoping to finish the scene next weekend. The last two weeks featured Vaughn inviting Daryl to a Halloween party (part 1 and part 2). This week I've skipped a few paragraphs and jumped ahead to the night of the party. Told from Daryl's POV: 

          Vaughn gave me a full-dimpled smile. “Cool. It’ll be great. You’ll see.” 
        I had my doubts the next evening as I studied the tangle of fake-leather straps that Lindsey was sorting by length. She was wearing a brown wig and square glasses and when I asked who she was, she said Hanji, as if it was perfectly obvious. “Your clothes are on your bed,” Vaughn told me. “Go get dressed and I’ll help you with your gear.” I watched for a moment as Lindsey started buckling the shorter belts around Vaughn’s thighs. She glanced up, her usual smirk aimed at me. She was taking her time, fumbling more than was necessary. Her hand brushed his balls and he laughed, swatting at her. 
       “Stop that,” he chided as if it was a normal thing. That violence that she seemed to bring out in me flared and I wanted to push her away from him. Instead, I turned and walked to my room. No point in making a scene. I didn’t get the door shut all of the way and my aggravation faded when I heard Vaughn sigh. And why had I never noticed how well sound carried in our apartment? 
        “Why do you have to act like that?” 
        “Like what?” She was using her most innocent voice, but Vaughn wasn’t fooled. 
        “I like him, Lindsey, so just don’t.” 
        “Yeah, okay. Sorry.” 

*Rainbow Snippets is a (Facebook) group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers who gather once a week to share snippets from a work of fiction–-a WIP or a finished work or even a book recommendation. If you're interested in following a diverse group of authors, check it out here.

Comments

  1. A lot of character-driven intensity, packing a punch in this snippet...beautiful moment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Snippets*-- Mid-June Addition

Rainbow Snippets*--April Showers (In May)

Rainbow Snippets*-- Happy Pride Month!